Sunday, January 19, 2014

Bad People

There are a lot of bad people in this world.  It's a shame because they ruin it for all the good people in the world.  I'm not sure if it is subconscious or not, but I go to great lengths to avoid bad people.  I even got a job working from home so I don't have to interact with people who are not good.  However sometimes it is inevitable.  Even in my work from home job I encounter the same type of people I have been trying to avoid.

I do an online customer service sales type job where I help customers who have questions about products or purchases.  About 90% of the time it is good and the people are there because they genuinely need help and they are grateful of the help they are given.  Then there is the other 10%.  This is the group that is either just messing around or they are there to cause trouble.

In this job the customers are asked to rate their experience when the interaction is completed.  You can image the kind of rating you get for the 10% mentioned above, even when you answer all their questions perfectly and are very nice to them.  Now I know I should not let this kind of thing effect me.  In the big picture it really does not make a difference, but psychologically it still has a negative effect.

I have been trying to come up with reasons as to why people are bad and end up like this.  I came up with 3 possible reasons.  One, they are just young and stupid and don't know any better.  They don't realize that by doing something like rating a good customer service experience poorly, it may actually have an effect on someone on the other side.  They just see the option presented to them and they just give the bad rating because why not, they can right?

Another reason why people can be bad to others is because they themselves are unhappy or are just having a bad day.  I'm sure we have all experienced this.  If you are in a bad mood, you are not likely to be nice to others at that time.  Even when you are exposed to things that are good or you might normally think are ok, you are still likely to have a negative feeling about it.  People in this state of mind then take out their anger or frustration on those around them.  When they are in this kind of mood and they are dealing with a customer service person they are not going to be happy with anything you tell them and at the end, they are going to leave a poor rating.

The third reason I can think of that people are bad is that it is just who they are or who they have become.  Maybe they had a poor upbringing.  Maybe their quality of life is below average all the time and there is not much to be happy about.  Maybe they have had too many bad influences and not enough good influences.  These experiences may have formed them into a bad person in general and this is how they reflect back on society. 

Whatever the reason for people behaving as they do, it still bothers me that bad people exist.  Can you imagine how good life would be if there were not people doing the wrong thing and intentionally harming others?  The problem clearly exists, so what is the solution?

The solution is not an easy one by any means and there is no absolute fix to a problem like this.  There is the option for improvement and that would involve setting a good example and somehow influencing these bad people to change their ways and become better human beings.   For some they will mature over time and become better people.  For others they will need that positive influence in some way shape or form.  We can all do our best to be good and always do the right thing and at the same time, encourage others to do the same.  Will we ever rid the world of evil completely?  No, but we can do our best to make it better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment